Thursday, May 05, 2011

day 10 - a walk down memory lane

My uncle likes to put up the pictures of our childhood on Facebook. There were pictures of my siblings and I when were such little kids. Sometimes, I could not even believe that the girl in the picture is me.

How cute we are, huh?

The good old times are missed dearly. But that doesn't mean we can't reminisce about it in once in a while, right? With that in mind, I searched high and low for the book for the next item in the 30-days-of-book meme.

Day 10 - Favorite classic book

The word classic brings names like T.S Eliot, Charles Dickens, Mark Twain, Jane Austen and even William Shakespeare to one's mind. But here's the thing; I'm not so much into classics. I know some of the stories like Austen's Pride & Prejudice, Dickens' Great Expectations and of course, some of Shakespeare's famous works. But I'm not really into them. Heck, I even have Pride & Prejudice in my keepsake, yet to be read.

So, I'm going to cheat a little this time. I won't go beyond the 1900's to qualify one book as a classic.

Nancy Drew - The Mystery at Lilac Inn

Come on now. How many of you grow up reading Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys? Hands up, hands up. The series are even translated to Malay back then, renaming the series to Siri Salma and Anak-anak Hadi. I read the Malay version first before shifting to the English version. Mysteries were my favorite genre back then. And back then, I wanted to be Nancy Drew when I grow up.

This book was first published in 1931. Now this, this is my definition of classic. Nancy Drew is a fictional young amateur detective in various mystery series for all ages. She was created by Edward Stratemeyer, founder of the Stratemeyer Syndicate book packaging firm. The books in the Nancy Drew series have been written by various authors, but are published under the pseudonym Carolyn Keene.

I love all the books under the Nancy Drew series, to be honest. But The Mystery at Lilac Inn just kinda stuck with me for a long time. The story involves Nancy Drew helping her friend, Emily Crandell find out who stole her heirloom jewels. This book was rewritten in 1961 after coming under fire for its hints at racism. I am sure I read the rewritten, un-racist version of this book.

It's a good book anyway. And I love Nancy Drew. The book version, anyway. The movie version is so... meh. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Words could heal... or it could hurt or maybe, it won't bring any difference. Either way, just type away!