Yesterday, I tweeted about chia seed and I thought I'd share it here as well.
So, what is exactly chia seed? There, I've put up the link. Go read. Don't be a lazy bum.
Here's what chia seeds look like:
|A combination of brown, gray, black and white chia seeds.|
- Chia is very high in fibre. Good dieatary supplement for those trying to shed the extra pounds.
- It contains 20% Omega 3 ALA, making it a super food for the brain and heart. Chia has eight times more Omega 3 than salmon!
- It boasts 20% protein. The protein is a complete protein with all 8 essential amino acids.
- It is high in antioxidants (It has a four times higher ORAC value than blueberries).
- Chia contains five times more calcium than milk.
- Chia contains seven times more vitamin C than oranges.
- It contains three times more iron than spinach. Eat your heart out, Popeye!
- It contains twice the potassium content of banana.
- It has a positive impact balancing blood glucose levels (making it even more awesome for diabetics).
- Unlike flax seed, chia doesn't go rancid. Stores longer and can be eaten raw.
- They can also help your diet by making you feel full. This is because they absorb 10 times their weight in water, forming a bulky gel.
- They reduce food cravings by preventing some of the food that you eat from getting absorbed into your system.
- They are also great for athletes because the "chia gel" can hydrate the body.
Take just one tablespoon of chia a day and you're good to go. As for me, I consume chia seeds because it keeps me energized and stave off my sleepiness in the morning at the office.
Of course, you have to remember to drink plenty of water after consuming chia seeds as it is very high in fibre. There are lots of other goodness of chia seed. Go google them.
In the meantime, have a great weekend.