Sunday, August 19, 2007

merdeka. and all that jazz

I'll be honest here. I never really care about 31st August, except that it's a public holiday. Merdeka means just about zilch to me. How could I not? I was born with practically everything ready at my very own feet. Call it the 'tak-apa' attitude whatsoever, it's just another 22-year old view of Merdeka. Yes, I know that without Merdeka, I won't be leading life as it is right now. I also realize that the sacrifices made by our previous leaders were significant in shaping up Malaysia. However, I was raised with one single icon to worship and respect. Tun Dr. Mahathir.

Of all my 22 years of living on this land, his name was repeatedly said by my parents, uncles, aunts, cousins, friends and so on. That is the one name I could totally relate with Malaysia. As far as the pride of the nation goes, I'd say Dr. M is the true icon of Malaysia. Wawasan 2020. Kuala Lumpur International Airport. Putrajaya. The Petronas Twin Tower. Sepang International Circuit. Not to mention all those things he had done during the economic downfall. His firm stand on matters and his courage to do so. Need I say more?

Of course, Tunku made the Merdeka possible for all us. But I wasn't there to witness it. I could only savor the fruit. I have respect for Tunku and all the people who had fight for us in the past. However, the feeling of patriotisme does not run deep in my vein. I feel a bit ashamed of it. I really do. But patriotisme aside, I do love Malaysia. I am proud of my country. We've gone a long way.

And yes, we still have a loooong way to go. Just take a look at our football team. It's a disgrace. Take a look at our very own people. Queueing pun boleh jadi hal. Just look at the scene in any LRT or commuter station, especially in KL Sentral (the shoving, pushing). I think most of us could relate. Like it or not, we have to accept the truth. If we want to change the country, we have to change ourselves first.

All things aside, Merdeka or not, I don't need a reason to celebrate my love for this land. I don't need 31st August to remind me of how far has Malaysia gone, how much we have achieved (SUKOM '98 still a fresh reminder). Malaysia is my home. That alone is enough for me to say out loud and proud "I LOVE YOU, MALAYSIA".

3 comments:

  1. and i love malaysia too.. but .. u know.. :) hehehehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Selamat Menyambut Hari Kemerdekaan :D

    You've been tagged btw~

    ReplyDelete
  3. lucky ball: we all love malaysia i think, its just that we are frustrated by the hands that control our country

    soraya: i've been tagged?aiyaaa...will respond as soon as i can (not ASAP) hehehe

    ReplyDelete

Words could heal... or it could hurt or maybe, it won't bring any difference. Either way, just type away!