Tuesday, October 06, 2009

not just a mentality. it's a concept. a way of life.

Okay, okay. I get it. I've been neglecting this blog too much. I've got writer's block. Yeah, right. How was your Raya, by the way? Mine was good. Great, actually, except for the fact that two of my sisters had to go back to KL on the third Raya due to work responsibilities.

Soooooooooo... what's new?

Recently, a friend of the Boss dropped by the office. A lady. With a kid in tow. Which at first I thought was a boy. Turned out to be a girl. Which at first I thought was hers. Turned out to be her sister's. She was feeding the little girl strawberry milk and low-fat Nestle yogurt. To a 2-year old kid. That had to be wrong, right? Anything low-fat has got to be wrong. Well, to me, at least.

Somehow, the kid got attached to me. Must be an excellent judge of character, huh? She refused to go the lady and hung to me tightly. The lady was kinda surprised as she said the little girl is actually afraid of strangers. Like I say, the kid is an excellent judge of character. Then she asked me how old I am. I told her 24 and like on auto-pilot, she went

"Are you married?"
"No, I'm not."
"Why??" I could actually see the horror in her face when she shot out the question. I smiled.
"So many things to do and see. Marriage is a long way to go for me," and I swear I could see the dismay colored her face. Did I disappoint her? I think I did.

24 is definitely not old in my book. It's the modern world, ain't it? Who says we gotta get married by the time we are 20? Pffft.

"You'll be a good a mother," she added, as if to entice me to enter the world of marriage. I know I'll be a good mother, thank you very much. In fact, I won't be feeding my 2-year old kid cold strawberry milk and low-fat yogurt at all. I'll be a freaking great mother. When the time comes. When the right time comes. I can't even take proper care of myself, how the heck am I suppose to take care of other people?

I think that hearing about marriage is nothing new for the 23 and above girls. We are constantly reminded about it either directly or indirectly. It's not a mentality anymore. It becomes a norm. No matter how many times we say that we're still young, reckless and rebellious, people will still steer us towards marriage. It's a way of life, I suppose, to make a girl think about marriage as soon she hits puberty.

Anyway, I believe the marriage / kenduri season will start soon. It's warming up now anyway. To all of you who are courageous and blessed enough to step into the world of marriage, I wish you all the happiness in the world. And to us people, who got stuck in this when-are-you-going-to-get-married ditch, I'd say this: Let's not give it a damn.

2 comments:

  1. It's a good thing you don't live in Cambodia. The girls there get married at 14.

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's a good thing i'm not a man either or i'd have to dig out gold mine to get married nowadays. teehehehe

    ReplyDelete

Words could heal... or it could hurt or maybe, it won't bring any difference. Either way, just type away!