Wednesday, April 20, 2011

day 02 - a repeat performance

So, day number two for the 30-days of book meme. Actually, let me just say this, this is a freaking good meme because I have to actually survey my books and guess what? Some of them are missing. Again. No big news there. I've lost two of my favorite books before. Still haven't be replaced. Next time, I'm going to lock my books up.

Kidding.

Day 02 - A book that you've read more than 3 times

This, my dear friends, is not a fair question. As a book-lover, you know there will be books that you will reread. Over and over again. You'll want to relive the experience, the feelings you gain from those books. Those books are the books that you smile, laugh or cry at. I have lots of it. Mine are the ones that make me goes "Ahhh..." And because I have to choose one, the best of the lot is:

Jennifer Crusie's Bet Me

Synopsis from Goodreads:

Minerva Dobbs knows that happily-ever-after is a fairy tale, especially with a man who asked her to dinner to win a bet. Even if he is gorgeous and successful Calvin Morrisey. Cal knows commitment is impossible, especially with a woman as cranky as Min Dobbs. Even if she does wear great shoes, and keep him on his toes. When they say good-bye at the end of their evening, they cut their losses and agree never to see each other again.

But Fate has other plans, and it's not long before Min and Cal meet again. Soon, they're dealing with a jealous ex-boyfriend, Krispy Kreme donuts, a determined psychologist, chaos theory, a freakishly intelligent cat, Chicken Marsala, and more risky propositions than either of them ever dreamed of. Including the biggest gamble of all-true love.

If I have to name ONE all-time favorite book, this will be it. I freaking love this book. I love it more than all Dan Brown's books combined. It's a modern day fairy-tale. The dialogues are witty, funny and believable. The characters are like that, too. And I adore both Min and Cal. I even adore their friends. And Min's orange cat, Elvis.And it refers to Elvis Costello, not Elvis Presley, by the way.

Because of this book, I fell in love with Elvis Costello's She. Because of this book, I learn about Krispy Kreme way before they make their way to our shore. There are so many little things I like about Bet Me. I even love the fact that Cal was once a dyslexic. And of course there's Min with her great shoes. And her transformation from the dumpy Min to sexy, confident Min. Oh, and there's Cal's adorable nephew.

This is my happy book. If I wanna be happy and believe in true love (yeah, right) all over again, I'll read this book. If I wanna coo and giggle like a school girl, I'll read Bet Me. If I wanna go to sleep dreaming about happy-ever-after, Bet Me is always a sure bet. Happy book, remember? Gosh, I miss this book. Yep, Bet Me is missing. Someone loves it as I much as I do, it seems.

So there you have it, the book that I read countless times. If you're a hopeless romantic like I am, and you like chick lit as much as I do, you must read Bet Me. Yes, you must.

Until day three, adieu!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Words could heal... or it could hurt or maybe, it won't bring any difference. Either way, just type away!